For collaborative international research projects in the area of intelligent information management, the Business School of Bern University of Applied Sciences (BUAS) in cooperation with research group Agile Knowledge Engineering and Semantic Web (AKSW) at Universität Leipzig opens positions for:
2 PhD and 1 PostDoc Position in Knowledge Engineering / Semantic Web
The positions are primarily based at BUAS (Switzerland) and funded by European FP7 projects and possibly Swiss national research grants. A close collaboration and ca. 4 research visits per year at AKSW research group at Universität Leipzig (Germany) are envisaged for the PhD students to complete their PhD program.
The stimulating environment of two research institutes in the fields of Business Informatics, Semantic Web, Ontology Engineering, Linked Data Web, Knowledge Management, Data integration and Service-Oriented Architectures;
- Long-term collaboration with well-known academic institutions and major companies around the world;
- A multicultural working place with state-of-the-art infrastructure, a competitive salary and resources including funding for attending international conferences, PhD symposia, summer schools, etc.;
- competitively funded PhD positions close to the rate of the Swiss National Science Foundation (currently ca. CHF 41’000);
- competitively paid Postdoc positions commensurate with the pay scale of BUAS (starting at CHF 80’000 depending on experience).
- A strong background in Computer Science or related disciplines;
- Excellent software engineering skills with demonstrated proficiency in modern software development;
- The willingness to work in an international environment and combine formal scientific work with application-oriented research in order to solve real-world problems;
- Research interest and expertise in at least one of the following: knowledge representation and ontology languages, natural language processing, data management and integration, Semantic Web standards, business aspects of semantic systems;
- Prospective PhD students should fulfill the doctorate entrance requirements of Universität Leipzig (i.e. masters degree or equivalent)
- Proficiency in English and the willingness to learn one of the official Swiss languages (e.g. German, French, Italian).
Applicants should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae incl. list of publications, a research statement and the names and addresses of two referees, via email (PDF only) to firstname.lastname@example.org (Dr. Michael Kaschewsky, Head of Research Group, Bern University of Applied Sciences, Business School). Positions are open until filled, but candidates are advised to apply by 1 March 2012. In addition, qualified Postdoctoral researchers have the opportunity to get funding for their position and additionally for a doctoral position that they supervise independently but must apply by 15 February 2012 – if you are interested please contact us asap.
Bern University of Applied Sciences (BUAS) is the regional leader in applied science and research with seven departments across three cities. Research at the Business School in Bern is nationally leading and internationally renowned in the field of e-government and applied informatics in the public sector.
AKSW research group at the Universität Leipzig is establishing theoretical results and scalable implementations for the Semantic Data Web (e.g. DBpedia, OntoWiki, DL-Learner). Particular emphasis is given to areas such as ontology creation and manipulation, knowledge extraction, ontology learning and information & data integration on the Semantic Data Web.
Additional information regarding our research and projects as well as further information concerning these positions is available at http://bfh.ch and http://aksw.org.