We are excited to invite you to the 1st DBpedia Knowledge Engineering PhD Symposium, organized on July 6th, 2022 in Leipzig, Germany. The DBpedia Knowledge Engineering PhD Symposium will be held on the third day of the week-long Data Week Leipzig 2022 event (July 4-8, 2022).
We are creating a meeting place and scientific network around DBpedia for scientific exchange – the DBpedia Knowledge Engineering PhD Symposium – where junior and senior researchers establish relations and collaborations and exchange ideas and knowledge. Thus, we aim to manifest a scientific community as a driver for DBpedia and Linked Data and expect synergies and network effects that will greatly improve scientific output by the involved community members.
The DBpedia Knowledge Engineering PhD Symposium consists of the following highlights:
- A senior researcher starts the symposium by giving insights into their experience on “what makes a good PhD”.
- PhD students present their thesis and topics. On the one hand, they will receive feedback and on the other hand, the symposium participants will gain insight on 1) how they structure and define their PhDs, 2) what the current trends are and 3) make potential connecting points for collaboration.
- A dedicated poster session where all PhD participants can bring their poster and discuss with the audience during the coffee breaks. Please contact the organizers if interested in presenting a poster!
- A community session with discussions on how to coordinate the research around DBpedia.
- Student mentoring – a senior researcher (see below the confirmed list of mentors) will be assigned to each PhD student to provide feedback on their PhD topic and have an informal conversation in the evening at the social event.
- In the afternoon we will walk through the city center of Leipzig and also visit the LivingLab at the University of Leipzig. In the evening we will meet in a nearby pub and discuss the PhD topics of the day.
Each PhD presenter will receive a 30 minute slot which includes 20 minutes for presentation of the research topic and 10 minutes for questions, feedback and discussion.
We are looking for presentations within the broader scope of the knowledge engineering field. From knowledge extraction, integration and curation, to knowledge publishing, quality assurance and knowledge exploitation in AI solutions.
How to apply
To apply for a PhD presentation please fill in the form and submit your PhD topic presentation until May 29, 2022. Notifications of Acceptance will be sent out by June 3, 2022
How to register
The symposium will be organized as an on-site event where you need to register and buy at least a single day Data Week ticket. All symposium participants will be invited to an informal meeting in the evening, where the PhD student can discuss their current results and future plans with professors and experts from the knowledge engineering field.
Confirmed list of mentors
- Maribel Acosta, RUB
- Thomas Riechert, HTWK
- Sahar Vahdati, InfAI
- Maria-Esther Vidal, TIB
- Krzysztof Węcel, PUEB
We look forward to meeting you in Leipzig and discussing your PhD research topic!
All the best,
Sebastian, Milan & Julia
on behalf of the DBpedia Association